Tuesday, January 18, 2011

2nd Winter Storm of the Season

Hello everyone! I'm sorry I didn't post for the last storm- we were just getting back to school so things were very busy. This next storm will start dropping snow in the area tomorrow afternoon and by the evening commute conditions will really start to deteriorate. The latest forecast models are indicating that snow totals of 8 - 10" are possible in a very narrow band, most likely just to the north and east of Kansas City, although there is some uncertainty as to whether it will be positioned slightly further south (bringing more snow to the immediate metropolitan area). Within this band, we may see localized amounts reaching or just exceeding a foot of snow. In the graphic below, I've outlined the probable accumulations for the region, and have also included the possible higher amounts. For example, while the immediate area is forecast to receive 6 - 8" of snow, some areas might see up to 8 - 10".(click for a larger view)

As you can see, most of us here can expect to see 4 - 8" of snow, but for those of you up in the northland, I wouldn't doubt people seeing accumulations closing in on one foot. I'll update when more information becomes available. Remember a WINTER STORM WATCH is in effect for tomorrow into Thursday because of the potential for these significant snow accumulations affecting the commute. Also note that during tomorrow's evening commute, the roads (including highways and primary roads) will become very slick, so try to come home early from work to avoid the roads. Have a great evening!

************************

EDIT: My apologies on the map labels for the lightest shade of blue- I meant '<2"'. (Less than two inches instead of greater than two inches.) Sorry about that! By the way, if anyone is reading this, would you like me to post a school closing forecast? I thought it might be cool to test my accuracy this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment